Monday, November 18, 2024

Sourdough Starter

I’m working on a number of things right now, but one thing I picked up is learning about Sourdough. I took a community education class locally to where I live about making sourdough goodies. At the class I received a sourdough starter that I have been learning how to keep alive. I also received an Amish Friendship Bread starter.

The Amish Friendship bread has been the easiest to work with. I’ll share more about that later.

My sourdough starter has been a bit of a pain. I thought I killed it a number of time, but I think I finally got the hang out it and have been able to keep it alive! If it’s nice and bubbly then it’s alive!

So, Step 1: Get a starter. Buy one online or from someone locally. Better yet, if you have a friend doing it then just ask them for a tiny bit. A cup of it would be best, but even just a half of a cup would work.

Step 2: Put it in a clear jar. I use a mason jar. Sourdough needs light and warmth, which is why we use the clear jar. Always keep it covered, but you do not want it airtight cause it also needs air. I either use a lid that I just sit on top or a cotton cover.

Step 3: Feed it! This depends how much you use daily, but you want to do equal parts of flour and warm water. I usually do between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup of each. If it gets too watery then add less water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Beef and Veggies in a Bread bowl

I used a bread recipe I found online and made the bread bowls. Scoop out the bread and cut up onions. Fry/grill the onions Add the beef Add ...