Amish Friendship is a process cause it takes 10 days! It is amazingly yummy though, so don’t be afraid to give it a try. Plus, it is also extremely easy to keep alive! Just remember to feed it on schedule and stir it daily.
For this you want a container that won’t let in light. I went to a secondhand store and found a little ceramic jar that has just been perfect for this. Just like with regular sourdough, you don’t want the lid to be tight… it needs to be loose for airflow or in case it overflows. Always use silicone, wood or plastic for stirring. Metal is not ideal for sourdough.
I will share the recipe that I was given, but for feeding this you will need flour, sugar and milk, which you add on Day 6 and Day 10. Unfortunately, I can’t show you what an active culture looks like because I am taking a break from this one due to a trip we have coming up soon. I stuck a couple baggies of it in the freezer to keep it safe until I can start again. I’m a little nervous about restarting cause my starter was doing so well and I never tried restarting from frozen yet. I was told I could freeze it though, so we shall see!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.